Adobe Lightroom is usually the first application you find when searching for a photo editor. Up until recently, it was the only choice if you wanted a comprehensive set of editing tools, advanced support for RAW files, and integrated library management. However, competition from Affinity Photo, Darkroom, and even Apple Photos have started to show the limitations and weaknesses in Lightroom. The one-off cost for Affinity Photo or Pixelmator Photo is also a lot more palettable than the recurring subscription charge for Adobe Lightroom. Many professional photographers will still be recommending Adobe Lightroom for years to come; however, for those where photography is only a hobby, cheaper and arguably better alternatives will tempt many users away from Adobe.
I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you real information about the best technology products. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions.
Please find further details on Adobe Lightroom (iPad) in the following articles:
Adobe Lightroom has been the industry standard for photo editing for many years. It provides a comprehensive set of editing tools and has been expanded to the iPhone and iPad for mobile editing. There are numerous tutorials and books available to help both the complete beginner or the seasoned professional photographer. However, greatness comes at a cost, and the monthly subscription is unpopular, especially if photography is more a hobby than a career.
- The industry standard (if not the best) photo editing software.
- Includes a Mac, iPad, and iPhone application.
- Intuitive user interface with a relatively easy learning curve.
- Tight integration with Adobe Photoshop for even more editing control, even though Photoshop on the iPad is not that great.
- Photo asset management is the best among tested photo editors.
- Comprehensive RAW editing controls.
- Expensive monthly subscription of USD 9.99.
- No longer number 1. The competition has improved and in some cases, overtaken it.