The Seagate Backup Plus Hub is a basic no-frills backup drive similar to the Expansion Desktop with the addition of 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front. The slower 5400 RPM drive and USB 3.0 interface makes it ideal for data backup as transfer speeds are lower than drives that include faster 7200 RPM drives or faster Thunderbolt 3 interfaces. However, if you are not looking at intensive use cases such as editing 4K videos, then the performance should be perfectly acceptable. The design is pretty basic but the plastic case provides enough passive ventilation to keep it cool. The slightly cheaper Expansion Desktop drives removes the 2 USB 3.0 ports on the front if you are looking at saving some money. The 1 year warranty is poor compared to similar Western Digital drives. Interestingly Seagate offers a longer warranty outside of US/Canada.
I may earn a small commission for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial, and/or link to any products or services from this website. Your purchase helps support my work in bringing you real information about the best technology products. I am an independent blogger and the reviews are done based on my own opinions.
The Seagate Backup Plus Hub is a similar to the Expansion Desktop external drive with the addition of 2 USB 3.0 ports. Even though it only has a 5400 RPM drive, the USB 3.0 interface is fast enough for all but the most intensive tasks. However, 4TB may be too small.
- Great value desktop drive.
- Passive ventilation works well.
- Even though using only a 5400 RPM drive the USB 3 seemed fast enough for all but the most demanding tasks.
- Dual USB 3.0 ports on the front are handy for connecting additonal USB devices.
- Retail pricing is typically cheaper than RRP so shop around.
- 5400 RPM drive not as fast as the 7200 RPM drives in other models.
- 4 TB may be too small.
- Only includes a 2 year warranty where the WD My Book has 3.
Drive Capacity ?
Drive Type ?
Hard Disk Drive (HDD)
Number of Drives ?
RAID Support ?
Disk Speed ?
Recommended Retail Price ?
USB 3.0 ?
3 x USB 3.0
Thunderbolt 3 ?
Hardware Encryption ?
Backup Software ?
SD Card Reader ?
Enclosure Color ?
Enclosure Material ?